He was trained as a Public Administrator in the first cohort of Public Administrators at Ranche House College which was funded by the Fredrick Nauman Foundation. After graduation, he joined the Zimbabwe civil service in 1980. He left to join Beverly Building Society where he rose through the ranks to become the Mortgage Officer. He left this posting to join Dairiboard (listed in Zimbabwe) and again rose through the ranks to become the Assistant Administration Accountant (Midlands Region). He gained experience in Cash Flow Management and the Preparation of Year-end Financial Statements. The quest for further education and improvement compelled him to register with the University of Zimbabwe where he read for a Bachelor of Business Studies (Honours Degree). Upon graduation, he was immediately summoned to work with the Zimbabwe Banking Group whose mandate was to introduce and develop derivative instruments in Zimbabwe. He also taught at Fletcher High School for two years and later joined the Chinhoyi University of Technology as an Assistant Lecturer.
He immediately started working towards completing a Master of Business Administration degree with the Zimbabwe Open University. Upon completion of his master’s degree, he was enrolled as a Full-time Lecturer. He excelled in his lectureship and was promoted to become Senior Lecturer in the Department of Entrepreneurship and Business Management. He participated in the transformation of Chinhoyi University of Technology (CUT) by teaching business-related modules; coordinating the activities of the Diploma in Business Studies; as well as developing curricula for the undergraduate and post-graduate degree programs at this university. He was a very active member of various committees of the university ranging from the Admissions Committee to the Examinations Committee. In his seventh year at CUT, he left for NITT in Botswana.
He has shown interest in research and has presented papers at various local and international conference proceedings. He has also edited the Research Methods Guide prepared for undergraduate students at Botho University.
He is currently serving as a Senior Lecturer in the Blended and Distance Learning Campus where he teaches Business Management qqmodules. He also teaches the Essentials of Entrepreneurship module where he excelled and earned the Wadhwani Gold Faculty Award for Entrepreneurship in 2021. Other awards that he has won are Botho University Research Excellence Award (2014); the Botho University Teaching Excellence Award (2014); the Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarship (1979) and Rowan Tree Foundation Scholarship (1979).
He has also taken many short courses to enhance his career as an academic and is currently working towards finalizing his PhD in Business Management.
Department of Business Management
Faculty of Business and Accounting
Blended and Distance Learning Campus
- Masters Degree in Business Administration, Zimbabwe Open University, 2004.
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Honors Degree), University of Zimbabwe, 1999.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, Botho University, 2015.
- Standards-based Assessments Course, Quality Skills Frameworks, (2017)
- Certificate in Public Administration and Management, 2002, Ranch House College
Affiliations, Honours and Industry/Community Engagement:
- Gold Faculty Award, Wadhwani, (2021)
- Research Excellence Award (2014).
- Teaching Excellence Award (2014).
- Zimbabwe Institute of Management Member (2006).
- Friedrich Neuman Foundation and Rowan Tree Foundation Scholarships (1979).
Management of Financial Institutions, Corporate Social Responsibility, Economics, Ecological Sustainability, Supply Chain Management and Blockchain Technology.
- Dr S. E Maponga and G. Mukwapuna Advocacy for Young Women Entrepreneurship Capacity Development towards Adaptive Resilience for Social Protection: The Case for Climate Change in the SADC Region, Social Protection and Climate Change in the SADC 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, SASPEN Conference, 14-15 August 2019.
- Mukwapuna G. and Naidu G (2016) The Significance of Micro-Finance Institutions on Poverty Eradication in Zimbabwe, International Journal of Commerce, Management and Computer Application, vol.2, Is.4, pp1-4
- Mukwapuna, G. 2014 Role of Financial Institutions in Economic Development through adding values in Botswana, International conference in Economics, 3-5 September 2014, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Nyabawa, R.F. and Mukwapuna, G. Developing a Model for Successful E-Learning: A Case for Botho University, Maun (Botswana), Botho University International Research Conference, 25- 26 Novrmber 2014, Gaborone, Botswana.
- Nyabawa, R.F. and Mukwapuna, G. Obtaining Student Feedback Using NGT for course delivery redesign: A Case for Botho University, Maun (Botswana), South African International Conference in Education, 21-23 September 2014
- Mukwapuna, G. and Nyabawa, R.F. Predictive analytics in higher education: A Case study of Botho University in Maun (2014), European Business Research Conference, 4-5 September 2014 Rome, Italy.
- Mukwapuna, G. Factors Influencing the Success of Micro-Lending Business Enterprises in Maun (Botswana) in 2014, Eurasia Business Conference, 16-18 June 2014, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Mukwapuna, G. The Stakeholder Approach to Curriculum Development and its Role in Producing Globally Employable Graduates, Botho University International Research Conference, 25-26 November 2013 Gaborone, Botswana.
- Mukwapuna, G. Communication and task orientation as attributes of successful transformational leadership in financial institutions in the SMMEs sector in Botswana, 1st International Conference on Transformational Leadership in Africa, National University of Science and Technology, 17-21 June 2013 Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe,
Open Researcher and Contributor Identifier (ORCID):
Teaching and Supervision
Business Management, Strategic Management, Change Management, Corporate Governance, Organisational Behaviour, Marketing Management, Small Business Management, Corporate Finance, and Financial Management.