The proposed Bachelor of Science Degree in Safety, Health and Environmental Management (BSc. SHEM) is intended to produce a well-rounded practitioner who is able to recognize the link between workplace hazards, their impacts on workers’ health, external communities as well as the general environment. Furthermore, this qualification will equip students with skills that will empower and capacitate them with abilities to penetrate the industrial market and atmospheres; thus, they can engage in safety, health and environmental consultancy as well as work as Safety, Health and Environmental officers and managers. Additionally, the graduates may acquire positions of Environmental Policy analysts as well as OHS trainers, inspectors, practitioners and assessors. In academic progression, this qualification may work as a baseline entry qualification into various fields of vertical progression towards postgraduate qualifications like Environmental Management, Risk and Safety Management, Public Policy and health and any other relevant field as may be fit.
Graduates of this programme can:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of concepts of Occupational Safety, Health
- Environmental Management.
- Conduct accident/incident investigations.
- Critically and comprehensively analyse Safety, Health and Environmental risks at the workplace and external environments.
- Develop practical, sustainable, cost effective and environmentally friendly solutions and alternatives in addressing challenges on safety, health environmental management at the workplace and beyond
- Formulate programs with a mandate to drive environmental sustainability for safe, sustainable and healthy human capital.
- Investigate the effects of exposures to occupational health, safety and environmental stressors.
- Engage in academic debates and research forums on issues addressing Safety, Health and Environmental Management.
Skills you will need:
- Communication skills
- Strong personal and people skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail.
- Energetic and an intense desire to learn.
- Enthusiasm and dedication
- Safety, Health and Environment Representatives
- Occupational Health and Safety Management Consultants
- Safety, Health and Environment Managers and officers
- Safety, Health and Environment Policy Analyst and Developers
- Safety, Health and Environment Officers
- Environmental Officers
- Environmental Managers
- Risk Control Officers
- Risk Control Managers
- Loss Control Officers
- Loss Control Managers
- Safety Officers
- Safety Managers
- Safety Auditors
- Trainers in Occupational Health and Safety
- Administrators in Occupational Health and
Safety and related fields
- Human Resources officers in Occupational
Health and Safety and related fields
- Industrial and Environmental Assessors
- Safety Health Assessors
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS)
- Health and Safety Practitioner
- Lecturer / Academic Officer
- Environmental Control/Protection Officer
- Industrial Hygienist
- Environmental Impact Assessment Officer/Specialist
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Management Researcher
* Important note: The programmes offered in this website/advert are accredited by BQA and offered at Botho University at the time of publication. Please refer to your offer letter from our admissions department for any changes in programme name or duration that may be effected due to regulatory requirements.